IS 4968 (Part III)
Static cone penetration test is internationally recognized as a standard field test to collect data about bearing capacity and frictional resistance of soil.
Static C one Test is unsatiable e fo r gravelly soils. The Static Cone resistance is correlated with the 'N' value as obtained from standard penetration test, thus incr easing the utility of the test.
The drive is by means of a rack and pinion manually through a gearing arrangement. The gear box and pinion are fixed on two handles, sprockets and chain arrangement. The movement of the rack is guided by a bracket ( attached to the rack) and two pillars. The penetration resistance i.e. the pressure is indicated on hydraulic gauges through a hydraulic measuring head. Two pressure gauges of 15cm dia dial and 2 capacities 0-160kg/cm are provided. An automatic cut-off valve, to protect the low capacity gauge from being overloaded is provided. The 2 valve can be adjusted and locked at desirable values between 20 to 60cm . A provision is made to anchor the unit to the ground (with the help of four anchors supplied with the unit) and there is a provision for lateral 2 movement of the unit so that subsequent tests could be performed without shifting the entire anchorage. A 10cm penetration cone with friction jacket is provided along with fifteen mantle tubes (non-uniform having an effective length of 1 m each with sounding rods for finding out the cone (point) resistance or jacket friction.
It consists of :
01) Penetration Cone, steel 60 angle 10cm base area with friction jacket One
02) Mantle Tube, non-uniform , 36mm OD at the two ends and reduced dia in between with sounding rod working length 1mfifteen.
03) Load Measuring Head, with Automatic Cut off valve and Oil Can, without Pressure Gauge One
04) Pressure Gauge, 0-60kg/cm One
05) 2 Pressure Gauge, 0-160kg/cm One
06) Screw Anchor , with Bolt Four
07) Anchor Driving Handle One
08) T-Rod One
09) Spanner One
10) Extension Pipe 0.5m long for Anchor Driving Handle Four
Note : Uniform dia mantle tubes can be ordered at extra cost.
Mantle Tube, 36mm uniform OD with Sounding Rod, working length 1 m